Hard Rock Re-Opening Iconic Body English Nightclub

November 14th, 2012

The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino is planning to reopen the Body English nightclub just in time for New Year’s Eve.  The club is set to reopen on December 28 following a multimillion dollar renovation that established a new pub lounge and entertainment venue.  Body English has long been a launch site for various independent and underground bands, who are establishing a name for themselves.  Vice President of nightlife at the Hard Rock Michael Goodwin says customers have been demanding the club be resurrected.

“We’re bringing back the intimate nightlife experience that everyone knows and loves.”

The Body English club has a reputation as a self-indulging atmosphere for customers to enjoy.  It provides an intoxicating flare of sensual and seductive environment, while offering live entertainment acts.  It has long provided a home for indie bands and DJs to establish cult followings.  The club will house two main rooms each housing various leather couches, chairs, and affluent looking woods to give the rooms a higher touch of class.  There is no confirmation of a New Year’s Eve party yet, but with the launch date only a few days before, it would not be surprising for a New Year’s bash to be hosted in the nightclub.

The Hard Rock has also gathered recent media attention for its lounge the Joint, to serve as host to several iconic 80s rock bands.  The current tenants Guns n Roses, caused controversy with artwork promoting their shows in the casino.  But this hasn’t put a stop to the Hard Rock’s plans to host Def Leppard in the New Year.

Def Leppard Will Perform ‘Hysteria’ Live in Las Vegas

November 12th, 2012

Las Vegas is becoming a popular destination for veteran hard rock bands.  The Joint inside the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino previously hosted Motley Crue, is now serving as host to the current lineup of Guns n Roses, and the venue will again host one of the 80s rock greats in Def Leppard beginning March 22, 2013.  The opening weekend for Def Leppard’s performances will coincide with the first weekend of the NCAA basketball March Madness, adding even more hype to the event.

Frontman Joe Elliott says the band will play nine shows inside the Joint that will end April 10, 2013, and will feature the entire listing of the multiplatinum ‘Hysteria’ album.  The event in Vegas will be the first time the band has played one of its albums live from beginning to end.  Elliott says because of the track listing order, he and the rest of the band will find it weird to be playing smash hit ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ in the middle of the set, instead of closing with it.  Nevertheless, he and the rest of the band are honored to play for the Vegas crowd.

“We’re very happy to be part of what I call the first wave of rockers to take Vegas back from the lounge singers like Wayne Newton and his type.”

The show’s encore performances will feature material from other albums of the band’s history, and Elliott says during the down time, Def Leppard will be writing new material for a planned comeback album.  Tickets for the show will range anywhere from $50 in the back, upwards to $125 for floor seats.

The Hard Rock has found itself in controversy for the artwork used to promote current performers Guns n Roses, which was condemned by women’s groups in the community.  Despite the controversy, the Hard Rock has said the artwork for Def Leppard was approved before the trouble with GnR, and is not expected to cause any problems.

Michael Colbert Will Plead Not Guilty To Illegal Sportsbetting Charges

November 9th, 2012

Former Cantor Gaming Executive Michael Colbert is expected to plead not guilty when he is due to appear in New York court November 29.  Colbert was arrested on October 24 with seven other defendants in Nevada as a result of a year and a half investigation into illegal sportsbetting and money laundering.  If convicted on the charges, the defendants face up to 25 years in prison.

Colbert’s Las Vegas based lawyer Michael Cristalli refused to comment on the charges against his client after a procedural hearing in Las Vegas Justice Court.  But the charges are known to have resulted from an indictment issued by the Queens County District Attorney’s office in New York.  The indictment alleges that Colbert coordinated the transfer of over $100,000 in illegal sports wagers from New York to Las Vegas in July 2011.  Before he was dismissed by Cantor Gaming, he ran the sports book in the M casino and resort, which is owned by Cantor.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board says the investigation continues despite the pleas of innocence.  Nevada is cooperating with authorities from the NYPD, with consultation from the FBI due to the charges crossing state lines.  Nevada Gaming Deputy Chief of Enforcement James Taylor says they believe that Colbert communicated with one of the other defendants using a number from a New York City area code.  Allegedly, it was this connection that helped to arrange the money transfer.

Prosecutors believe that online sportsbook site Pinnacle Sports is also involved in the case.  The online domain is believed to have been “the wire room” where gamers placed their bets, and account managers arranged the transfers.